Thursday 21 February 2013

REVIEW: Rimmel 'Wake Me Up' foundation & concealer


Let me start by saying that when it comes to drugstore foundations, I am one tough cookie to please. I've been wearing make-up on a more or less daily basis since the age of about 15, and have tried and failed to find a drugstore base which I really love and would actually repurchase. Once I discovered my HG foundation in the form of Estée Lauder Double Wear, I knew there was no going back! That said, I am always on the hunt for new products to try, and Rimmels new Wake Me Up range has been causing somewhat of a stir amongst my favourite bloggers and Youtubers alike, and as I'm nearing the end of my current bottle of double wear I figured now is the perfect opportunity to road test this new product. If its good enough for Tanya Burr, it must be good enough for me!

I purchased the foundation in the shade 200 Soft Beige, and the concealer in shade Ivory. Both items are reasonably priced and won't break the bank, £8.99 for the foundation and £5.49 for concealer, also in Boots there was a 3 for 2 across the whole Rimmel range so I picked up one of the Kohl Kajal eyeliner pencils in 005 Nude (more about this later!). Overall pretty good value and what I would expect from a lower end brand. 

So I woke up this morning eager to do my makeup so I could finally utilise these products. After washing and exfoliating my face, I applied a layer of the Laroche-Posay Effaclar K all over my face as a moisturiser/base. I pumped two blobs of foundation onto the back of my hand, then using the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush began blending the product onto my face, first on one side only so I can compare to the other make-up free side, then all over. 
The product is quite nice to work with, a nice consistency which smooths out over the whole face nicely, and I found I'd really pumped out too much as it didn't take more than one good sized pump to do my whole face. I wasn't too keen on the smell, it was rather a cheap scent and a little odd, but this went away and after two minutes I didn't notice it anymore. Once I'd buffed the product in all over my face, I applied the concealer under my eyes, around my nose, and to blemishes I currently have around my mouth and chin. I used the Real Techniques Deluxe Crease brush to blend this in, and actually found it made an immediate difference to my under eye area, cue a little gasp of joy! It covered my blemishes and certainly counteracted the redness of both my spots and around my nose area. 

Coverage wise, I found the foundation to be light but buildable to medium, depending on the application method, ie fingers or brush. I was happy with how it evened out my skin tone, and left my skin still feeling fresh, not smothered. And despite my absolute adoration of my Double Wear, sometimes I do feel it's a little too heavy for daytime wear, this however was basically perfect daytime coverage for me. 

Once I'd completed my foundation/concealer routine, I went about my day to see how well this duo would fare without touch-ups, and in the biting cold weather when exposed to the elements! I have to say, it's now 6.45pm, I applied my makeup at 11am, and I am thoroughly impressed. I could do with some powder blotted over my t-zone, but I'm a pretty oily lass, and even my HG foundation can't hold back the slick all day, so I didn't expect it from this. I still look pepped up and pleasant enough that I could happily nip out for an evening without feeling the need to pile on more product. 

Overall, I can really understand the hype over this new range. I'm not a drugstore foundation gal, but if this is now becoming what 'low end' brands have to offer, then perhaps for the sake of saving a lot of pennies on a cheaper product, I could definitely be converted! I will actually be adding this to my everyday make-up collection, for those days when I'm feeling a little 'blah' and my skin could do with some oomph. 
Thank you Rimmel, you've made this girl have a change of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment